Saturday 29 March 2014

Trying out the Canon C100 Autofocus…does it actually work? Can autofocus in video every truly work?



Trying out the Canon C100 Autofocus…does it actually work? Can autofocus in video every truly work?

I don't believe in autofocus for video. It can't work. I doubt it will ever work in the way I would want it to work. 

That's a bold statement to open this post with. Let me explain. For my entire 25 year career it's been manual focus all the way for a reason. Manual focus works, well, it works as well as the person pulling focus, and 99.9% of the time that is me. My brain knows what I want to be in focus within my frame. My brain knows when to keep something in focus and something out, no matter what the composition. My brain knows exactly when I want to pull between certain things at a certain speed, changing speed, perhaps even going back. The options are infinite…simply down to what I see travelling down the optic nerve to the cerebral cortex where the decisions are made triggering impulses that travel down my spinal cord through the motor neurons for the appropriate muscles and releasing a chemical which then causes my muscles to react in a way that hopefully keeps my shots in focus…see EASY!!! :) Not much for a camera to replicate then?!

http://philipbloom.net/2014/03/28/c100autofocus/

No comments:

Post a Comment